The Killerspin Jet200 paddle is a shakehand style bat designed for beginners or recreational players. What makes this a great paddle for beginners, or those interested in getting better, is the paddle’s great control.
- Performance ratings – Speed: 6.0, Spin: 7.0, Control: 8.5
- Blade – 5 ply wood extra-light blade
- Handle – Flared grip
- ITTF Approved? – No, you can’t use this paddle in official tournaments
- Price – $ (Check the latest price on Amazon)
- Our rating – 8.7/10 A good budget choice for beginners
Overview of the Killerspin Jet 200
A look at its features
The blade and sponge: Good for beginners
The Killerspin Jet 200 is one of their entry level bats and is ideal for those starting out in table tennis looking to upgrade from a paddle you’d get in a basic set. It’s made out of extra-light 5-ply wood blade that has 1.8mm millimeter sponge layer. When you’re a beginner it’s recommended to have a sponge thickness of between 1.5mm to 1.8mm as the thicker the sponge is the more it will speed up the ball. When you’re starting out you want to go for a slower bat with a higher control rating to allow you to practice your shots and ball placement and the Jet 200 does both of these.
Non-ITTF approved rubbers
The rubbers on this paddle are not ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) approved so you won’t be able to use this bat in official tournaments but it wasn’t designed with serious players in mind. The rubbers although not high quality will still allow you to generate some spin. Killerspin have given it a spin rating of 7.0, just enough to learn the techniques and get accustomed before upgrading to more tacky rubbers when you’re ready to up your game.
It’s available in three different colors: BluVanilla, Mocha and Lime. We’d prefer it wasn’t as in our opinion they’re not the nicest looking shades. It’s a shame it’s not available with the standard red and black rubbers but that’s just our opinion.
Comfortable flared grip handle
The handle on this paddle is a shakehand flared grip. That means that the handle widens towards the end helping it to sit comfortably in your hand and not slip out.and designed with a 3-7/8-inch flared handle for better grip, the racket was developed for a quick but controlled playing style. It sports a with a thickness that helps in added control but less power, perfect for someone learning the ropes of table tennis or purchasing their first paddle.
Some customers have complained that the quality of the handle wasn’t great and it would fall off after a bad knock or after a lot of use. They’ve reported that you can glue it back on it still works but it’s not ideal. Still considering the price it’s to be expected that the quality won’t be five stars.
Comes with a nice box
So this is obviously nothing to do with how the paddle plays and its quality but it does come with a nice memory book box that you can use as a case. We always advice getting a case for your ping pong paddle to help extend the life of it and so it’s one thing less to purchase.
The Jet200 is from Killerspin, a relatively new table tennis brand from Chicago in the United States. They have released a whole series of Jet paddles that are designed with different skill levels in mind from beginner all the way to professionals. Although they’re fairly new they are producing good products that players are giving great feedback on.
- Good control rating – Ideal for beginners as it’s got a low speed and high control rating
- Affordable – One of the cheapest paddles we’ve looked at that isn’t a basic one you get free with a set
- Comes with a box you can use as a case – No need to purchase a protective case as you can keep it in the box
- 30 day warranty – Killerspin offer a 30 day warranty (so make sure you inspect the paddle as soon as it arrives to check for any damage during shipping)
- Poor speed rating – Good for starters but more advanced players will find it limiting
- Not a great handle – Not the best quality handle
- Not ITTF approved – Doesn’t meet the requirements to play in tournaments with this paddle
Ultimately, we would recommend The Killerspin Jet 200 if you are a novice or recreational player looking for an ok, very inexpensive paddle with great control. It’s definitely a step up from the bat you found lying around in the attic but it won’t win any awards for its ratings.
For not much more money you can get a very similar paddle with better ratings and build quality. If you’re a very casual recreational player it will probably be fine but if you start to take your game a bit more seriously you’ll find you want to upgrade to something better. To see what other paddles we recommend check out our post on the other good ping pong paddles here.