Killerspin Jet 800 Review
The Killerspin Jet 800 Speed N2 is an intermediate to advanced level shakehand style table tennis racket. It’s approved by the ITTF, and features a 7-ply blade with 5 wood layers + 2 layers of carbon to increase the speed for competition-level performance. While it may seem pretty expensive, I think it’s a quality bat. Killerspin is a premium brand and they rarely fail to deliver great products.
Let’s take a look at some of its features that make it one of the most popular paddles on the market today in our Killerspin Jet 800 review.
|Specifications||Killerspin Jet 800 N2|
|Manufacturer ratings||Speed: 9 Spin: 9 Control: 7.5|
|Blade||7-ply 5 wood + 2 carbon|
|Sponge||2mm high tension sponge|
|ITTF Approved?||Yes - eligible for tournament use|
|Weight||266 grams (9.4oz)|
Overview of the Killerspin Jet 800
We love the Killerspin Jet 800. In fact, it’s in our best table tennis bats of 2022! There are a number of reasons why it’s such a good table tennis paddle, let’s take a look at some of the features that we liked and some that we didn’t.
- Good speed – With a speed rating of 9/10 you’ll be able to generate a lot of power with this bat (although that’s not a good thing for complete beginners)
- 7-ply blade – Lots of layers mean more power
- Spinny rubbers – The 2mm Nitrx-4Z are capable of producing lots of spin
- ITTF Approved – The Killerspin Jet800 Speed N2 is approved for official tournaments so it is a great option for players looking to compete
- Stylish – Great looking paddle with lovely wooden side tape
- Free case included – To protect your bat and record messages
- Low control rating – This paddle is not suitable for complete beginners
- Short warranty – The Jet 800 only has a 30-day warranty so make sure to thoroughly check your bat for defects as soon as you get it
- Quite expensive – The Killerspin Jet 800 is more expensive than some of its competitors
- Short handle – Not ideal for players with large hands as the handle isn’t very big
- Heavy – At 266 grams it’s a lot heavier than most of its rivals
- Customers reported the handle comes off – A handful of customers have reported the handle snapping off when they’ve knocked it. Be careful to not bash or drop the Jet 800 as it can be quite fragile
The blade of a ping pong paddle is made up of layers of wood called plies, with some more offensive blades also having layers of carbon fiber. Generally, the more layers that the bat has the more speed and power it will have (but this isn’t always the case). The Killerspin Jet800 table tennis bat has seven layers which is on the upper end of table tennis paddles. This reflects in its speed rating which is 9 out of 10 — you’ll be able to generate a lot of power with this bat.
Of these seven layers, five are made from wood and the other two are carbon fiber. Opting to have two carbon fiber layers as opposed to another two wooden layers helps reduce the bat’s weight. That being said, at 266 grams it’s one of the heaviest table tennis paddles that we’ve tried. If you’re not used to such a heavy bat you may want to look for something that isn’t quite as hefty to get used to the weight. You’ll find heavy bats are a little more tiring to use and it takes you longer to reset after each stroke.
The Jet 800 is also a very stylish paddle. In fact, it’s probably our favorite pre-assembled table tennis paddle when it comes to design. We particularly like the wooden side tape that goes around the edge. It matches the handle which is a very nice touch.
ITTF-Approved Nitrx-4Z rubber
The Killerspin Jet800 table tennis paddle has 2 Nitrx-4Z rubber sheets that are 2.0mm in depth. These are high tension which means that they generate more speed than many other rubbers. While this is great for aggressive players, it’s not ideal for beginners. We instead think it is best suited to players of an intermediate level.
In terms of spin, we were also pretty impressed. It has a 9 spin rating from Killerspin, however, we’d argue it should be less. Probably around 8.
The Killerspin Jet 800’s Nitrx-4Z rubbers are also approved by the ITTF (the international table tennis federation), so you can use the paddle in official tournaments which is another benefit.
Flared handle grip
The Killerspin Jet800 features a flared ergonomic handle. A flared grip is where the handle gets wider towards the end. This stops the bat from slipping out of your hand and helps it sit comfortably.
The handle on the Jet 800 is a little shorter than some other table tennis rackets, so it might not suit someone with larger hands, but to us, it felt pretty great.
About the brand: Killerspin
A relatively new company, Killerspin was founded by former professional table tennis player Richard Blackwell Jnr. Richard is also a tech entrepreneur but wanted to help more people disconnect from technology. So in the year 2000, he started Killerspin to bring more people together through their mutual love of table tennis. They’ve released a number of paddles in their Jet series and we are big fans of all of their table tennis products.
The Killerspin Jet 800 is a fantastic table tennis paddle. We do feel it is a little overpriced considering you can get a paddle of similar quality for around half the price from other manufacturers, but it still gets our seal of approval. We find it is ideal for intermediate to advanced players looking to develop their ability and gain a competitive edge.
We’re pretty sure you’ll be happy if you go with it too, as it’s almost at a thousand 5-star reviews on Amazon. However, if you can’t past the price we recommend you check out the JOOLA Infinity Edge instead. We feel it provides better value for money and its quality really surprised us. Read our review for that here.