The Killerspin Jet 800 Speed N1 is an intermediate to advanced level shakehand style table tennis racket. It’s ITTF approved and features a 7-ply blade with 5 wood layers + 2 carbon layers to increase the speed for competition level performance. Let’s take a look at some of its features that make it one of the most popular paddles on the market today.
- Performance ratings – Speed: 9.5, Spin: 9.0, Control: 8.0
- Blade – 7 ply blade made with 5 wood layers + 2 carbon layers for lightweight competition level performance
- Rubbers – Nitrx-4Z rubber
- Sponge – 2.0mm high tension sponge
- ITTF approved? – Yes, can be used in official tournaments
- Weight – 190 grams (6.7oz)
- Price – $$$ (Check the latest price on Amazon)
- Our rating – 9.1/10
Overview of the Killerspin Jet 800
We loved the Killerspin Jet 800, in fact, it’s in our best table tennis bats of 2019! There are a number of reasons why it’s such a good bat to choose, let’s take a look at some of the features that we liked and what we didn’t like about it.
Lovely blade with 9.5 speed
The blade of a ping pong paddle is made up of layers of wood (and sometimes carbon) called plies. Generally, the more layers that the bat has the more speed and power it will have (but this isn’t always the case). The Jet 800 has seven layers which is on the upper end. It shows in it’s speed rating of 9.5 out of 10 and so you’ll be able to generate a lot of power with this bat.
But to keep the bat from being incredibly heavy two of the seven layers are made out of carbon fiber which allows you to play those aggressive, offensive shots but without having too much weight. That being said at 190 grams it’s one of the heaviest paddles that we’ve tried. If you’re not used to such a heavy bat you may want to look for something that isn’t quite as heavy to get used to the weight. You’ll find your arm getting tired a lot quicker if you’re more of a defensive player.
ITTF Approved Nitrix-4Z rubbers
It has 2 Nitrix 4Z rubbers that are 2.0mm high that are high tension which means that they generate more speed as the ball won’t sink into the rubber and sponge. This high tension causes the ball to ping off the bat quickly which is great for aggressive players (but not necessarily good for brand new players). The spin you’ll be able to generate too is good. It has a 9.5 spin rating (although we’d argue it should be slightly less).
It’s also ITTF approved so it can be used in official tournaments, another good sign of the quality of this racket.
Flared grip handle
The Jet 800 features a flared grip, ergonomic handle. A flared grip is where the handle gets wider towards the end of the handle. This stops the bat from slipping out of your hand and helps it sit comfortably in your hand.
The handle is a little shorter than some other paddles so it might not be suited to someone with larger hands.
About the brand: Killerspin
A relatively new company, Killerspin was founded by former professional table tennis player Richard Blackwell Jnr. Richard is also a tech entrepreneur but wanted to help more people disconnect from technology. So in the year 2000, he started Killerspin to bring more people together through their mutual love of the sport.
- Good speed – With a speed rating of 9.0/10 you’ll be able to generate a lot of power with this bat (although that’s not a good thing for complete beginners)
- 7 ply large blade – Lots of layers means more power but two of them are carbon fiber which are lighter than the ply wood. It’s also larger making defensive shots easier
- Nitrix-4Z Rubbers – High-quality 2.00mm rubbers that you’ll be able to generate a reasonable amount of spin with
- ITTF Approved – It’s ITTF approved so is a great option for competitive players looking to enter official tournaments
- Low control rating – Depending on your ability this may or may not be a good thing. This paddle is not suitable for complete beginners
- Only 30-day warranty – It only has a 30-day warranty so make sure to thoroughly check your bat for manufacturing errors when you get it
- Quite expensive – Killerspin products are generally more expensive than their competitors (Check the latest price here)
- Short handle – Not idea for players with large hands as the handle isn’t very big
- Heavy – At 190 grams it’s a lot heavier than most of its rivals
- Customers reported the handle comes off – A handful of customers have reported the handle snapping off when they’ve knocked it. Be careful to not bash or drop it as it can be quite fragile
The Killerspin Jet 800 is a fantastic table tennis bat. It’s ideal for intermediate to advanced players looking to grow their ability and who need a paddle that can allow them to hit the winning shots they want. It’s got one of the biggest power ratings (being able to hit shots faster) that we’ve played with and can be good at generating spin in the right hands. It’s a firm favorite with lots of professional players such as Chinese Olympic gold medalist Chen Qi so you’ll be in good company by purchasing this bat.
But, with the extra cost and extra weight, it’s probably not our first recommendation for those looking to upgrade to a better paddle. We’d suggest looking at the STIGA Pro Carbon first and if you’re looking for something with a higher control rating maybe check out the STIGA Evolution.