STIGA XTR Review
The STIGA XTR is one of the most popular outdoor table tennis tables in the world. With its innovative composite construction that offers a quality surface that is unlikely to warp it gets rave reviews from its customers (and us too). We liked it so much that it’s in our top 3 highest rated outdoor table and in this review we’ll take a look at some of the features that make it one of our top choices.
- Dimensions – 9 x 5 feet (Regulation size)
- Weight – 166 lbs
- Assembly time – 10 minutes (comes 95% preassembled)
- Surface thickness – 6mm Aluminum composite surface
- Price – $$ (Check the latest price)
- Our rating – 9.7/10
Overview of the STIGA XTR
One of our favorite outdoor tables is the STIGA XTR which has been getting very positive reviews on Amazon over the last couple of years. It’s got all the features that you’d expect in a table designed to be used outside. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why it’s our best rated outdoor ping pong table.
The XTR has a number of features that are worth mentioning and considering when buying a new table. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
6mm thick table top surface
When buying an outdoor table tennis table you need to look for a table that is built specifically for the outdoors. Indoor tables are very susceptible to moisture and water damage and so can become quickly ruined if they get wet. Outdoor tables, however, are built using different materials and are sealed to prevent moisture from getting in and causing the table to warp.
The XTR has a 6mm thick table top made from an aluminum and plastic composite which is supported by a 1.5″ (38mm) tubular steel apron to ensure that the ball bounces evenly and consistently over the whole table. This table thickness is pretty standard for outdoor tables which tend to be between 5mm and 7mm and be made from some sort of aluminum mix. It’s resistant to rust and water damage like you’d expect but it also won’t won’t fade if left out in the sun.
Strong durable and weatherproof frame
The undercarriage of the XTR is very strong and durable considering the price. It has 1.25″ (32mm) welded steel legs to keep the table sturdy. The legs include a self-opening feature that means they are deployed automatically when you unfold the table. On the end of the legs are adjustable height levellers so you can make sure that your table is always level no matter where you’ve set it up.
Each half of the table has four 3 inch wheels to give you the flexibility and mobility to move the table into position smoothly and safely. You can then lock the wheels into place to prevent it from moving unintentionally when in storage or mid game.
Foldable and has the play-back feature
When you’ve finished using the XTR you can fold it up and put it into storage mode very easily. It has a unique chassis design where each half of the table has its own caster beams. When both tables are folded up it packs down very small with storage dimensions of W: 60” D: 23” H: 64”. The two tables nest into each other pretty snug.
Shifting from two-player or team play to solo play is a breeze. The mechanisms for the folding playback feature are well-made and the playback board can roll away from the table for variety on the ricochet.
72-inch net and post set included
As you’d expect it comes with a net and post set as standard. It’s a 72-inch exterior grade net and post set that allows you to adjust the tension too. The posts are a threaded clamp system too so are incredibly easy to put on and take off when you’re done.
About the STIGA brand
STIGA are one of the top table tennis equipment brands in the world. Having been founded in Sweeden they started making table tennis products back in 1944. Their products are hugely popular with both hobbyists and professional players all over the world because of their dedication to high quality and affordability.
- 6mm solid table top – A 6mm thick table top surface that provides a good and even bounce over the whole table and it’s supported by a 1.5″ tubular steel apron that’s sun and water resistant
- Strong and durable undercarriage – It has a weatherproof frame that is rust resistant and the legs have height adjusters to ensure a level playing surface
- Easy to fold – It’s super easy to fold away with a self-opening leg system that automatically deploys them when unfolding the table
- Portable – Eight 3″ caster wheels to make the table easy to move around
- Simple to assemble – With it’s QuickPlay design it takes under 15 minutes to put together (although we recommend two people for the set up)
- Personal playback mode – Fold up one side of the table to play on your own with the playback feature for solo play
- 72″ net and post set – Clamp style net and post set included
- Competitive price – Very closely priced to other tables of similar quality.
- One year warranty – STIGA offers a 1-year warranty to cover any manufacturing errors
- Not the thickest table thickness – There are thicker tables that get a better bounce on the market
- Heavy – Quite a bit heavier than other similar products
- Cover sold separately – We always recommend getting a waterproof cover to keep your table in the best shape possible
The relatively cheap ping pong table is ideal for casual or regulation play. For solo, one-on-one, or team play, you can’t go wrong with this table. STIGA stands behind its products with a one year warranty for this table. If for some reason, the table arrives to you in less than perfect condition, the company is quick to replace your purchase.
Quality materials and sturdy construction make the STIGA XTR a worthy investment for your home and family. As you would expect from a respected brand like STIGA, the XTR is designed to give you the best bounce for your outdoor game and comes recommended from us.
Eugene (Gene) Sandoval has been one of those guys who spent too many hours around ping pong tables in high school. However, soon enough, Gene understood that there is more to ping pong than having fun. That is how he started a journey that made Eugene one of the experienced semi-professional ping pong players in the United States. As the founder of the PingPongRuler, Eugene spends most of his time surrounded by ping pong tables and research. He always has this knack for coming up with new ping pong strategies and telling the good and bad equipment apart.