Thinking about what games table to use in your games room? Pool is a great fun game that can be enjoyed by the whole family so could be a good option. But, finding the right one table can be a bit challenging. To help save you time, we’ve rounded up what we think are the best pool tables in 2020 and included a buying our pool table buying guide that highlights the most important features to consider when shopping for one. Let’s get started.
Our Best Rated Pool Tables in 2020
- EastPoint Sports Masterton Billiard Pool Table
- Harvil 8-Foot Slate Pool Table – Bellagio
- Barrington Woodhaven Premium Billiard Pool Table
- Hathaway Fairmont 6ft Pool Table
- Fat Cat Trueshot 6’ Pool Table
- Playcraft Extera Outdoor Billiard Table
- Barrington Claremont Slate Billiard Table
Top Pool Table Reviews
#1. EastPoint Sports Masterton Billiard Pool Table
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: K-66 rubber bumpers provide professional style and yield consistent bounce while...
- INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO PLAY: 2 wooden billiard cues, 1 set of billiard balls, 2 pieces of...
- GAME ROOM FUN: This Billiard Table makes for a great addition to any family living area - Set-up the...
- ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS : 87 inches L x 50 inches W x 31 inches H. This table is suitable for both...
- RECOMMENDED ROOM SIZE: For comfortable play the recommend room size dimensions are 17 Feet L x 13...
If you’re looking for a pool table for your home then The EastPoint Sports Masterson could be an excellent contender. Whether you plan on putting it in your living room, games room, basement or somewhere else it looks great and is quite easy to set up.
It features K-66 rubber bumpers that provide an excellent bounce to keep your fun game going. We love the built-in leg leveling system that keeps everything fair and prevents the balls from rolling to one side. We love the design of the body of the table which features classic ball and claw legs plus parlor style drop pockets, you know that this pool table will last for a long time. Moreover, the scratch-resistant luster finish guarantees that it will look the same for years.
Another thing that we like about this one is that you’ll be ready to start playing the game instantly as it comes with two wooden billiard cues, two pieces of chalk, a triangle, a whole set of balls and a special brush to keep the felt clean. It’s an excellent choice for first-timers as well as more experienced players. It takes about 1 hour to be assembled.
#2. Harvil 8-Foot Slate Pool Table – Bellagio
- ON-SITE DELIVERY AND PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION - Delivery and installation included. Your table will...
- BUILT FOR SUPERIOR PLAY - The Bellagio has a quality 3-piece, 1-inch slate which allows a more...
- FINE ATTENTION TO DETAILS - This pool table stands on hand-carved legs with intricate ball and claw...
- PREMIUM POOL TABLE ACCESSORIES - Slate pool table comes with 4, 2-piece, 58-inch billiard cues made...
- WARRANTY- Your table will arrive with all its parts, without defect and/or shipping damage or well...
If only the best will do and you have a bit more budget to spend then you should definitely check out this 8-Foot slate pool table from Harvil.
It has has a 3-piece 1-inch slate which allows for a better game experience with very accurate leveling to keep the balls rolling straight and prevent the table from warping out of shape over time. The legs are hand-carved and are made of 17-inch solid wood with the inlays being made out of mother of pearl with 5-inch wood to add more luxury to your game experience. You’ll enjoy better ball bounces thanks to the K-66 rubber cushions.
It’s more than just a pool table and feels like a feature of the room. The frame is made from an elegant looking dense fiber wood with birch veneer. You can tell Harvil has taken a lot of care when designing every angle and you can tell it will really stand out in your game room. The only downside is the hefty price tag that might put off a lot of less serious pool players.
The felt cloth is made of 75% wool and 25% nylon so it will last for long. This particular model comes in red but there are other colors available so you can pick the right one that matches your décor. The felt is pre-treated with an anti-stain solution that maintains its condition.
Designed for more serious players, this table comes with 4 cues, each measuring 58 inches and made of high-quality Canadian maple wood. It also comes with a 57-inch copper-plated bridge stick, a set of balls, a box of chalk, 1 cue holder, 2 types of racks, and a cover to maintain its condition. There’s a special tally shaker ball with tally balls if you’re into bottle pool.
#3. Barrington Woodhaven Premium Billiard Pool Table
- ADD CLASS AND ELEGANCE TO ANY ROOM: Derived from dark cherry wood and fashioned with leather net...
- IDEAL PLAYING CONDITIONS: Our six-pocket pool slates are covered with 25mm thick wool felt that...
- HIGH QUALITY, STURDY BUILD: At Barrington Billiards, we take pride in providing top-notch rec game...
- GORGEOUS DETAILS: Each eight-ball pool table comes fashioned with open net, soft leather pockets...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE, EASY TO USE: Our wooden billiards tables come with preassembled legs, making...
This mid-range table brings elegance and lots of class to any space that you decided to change into your private game room. The pool table is made of durable dark cherry wood with leather net drop pockets that last for long. The dark wood contrasts beautifully with the traditional-looking dark green felt.
With parlor-style design and carved legs, this is a suitable choice for beginners as well as serious professional players. The 25mm thick wool felt and the 6-pool slates guarantee accurate cue connection with the balls and optimal ball rolling.
In addition to the sturdiness, each pool table comes packed with exquisite details like the open net and soft leather pockets that have been further reinforced with diamond-style stitching. Assembly shouldn’t be a problem as you can easily set it up in an hour or less. The 27.5″ x 7″ birch wood veneered square legs come preassembled to save your time and effort.
Leveling is straightforward because there’s a bracket under the mainframe that makes your job easier. With 18 mm thickness of playfield support system, there’s no chance of warping. This table is more suitable for a bigger room that can accommodate its massive size while providing enough space so you can move freely.
#4. Hathaway Fairmont 6ft Pool Table
- EASY TO TRANSPORT – This gorgeous table includes durable, steel legs that easily fold for...
- FAMILY FRIENDLY – The Fairmont’s compact, 6-foot frame is perfect for kids learning the game....
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED – Every table ships fully assembled and ready to play. Simply unfold the legs...
- 180-DAY WARRANTY - Your table comes with a 180-day manufacturer warranty. We promise that it will...
- DIMENSIONS - Table dimensions: 76-in L x 43.25-in W x 32-in H; Playing surface: 66-in L x 33-in W....
If you have a small room, then this is probably the best option to consider. This table folds so you can set it up whenever you want and can be easily stored away if you’re planning to use the area for other purposes. It even comes with a nylon carry bag that allows you to transport it safely from one location to another.
Kids and adults appreciate the family-friendly design of this table. The simple space-saving design is an excellent addition to any living room, office space, or kids’ room. Moreover, no assembly is required as every table is shipped pre-assembled and ready for use. All you have to do is to unfold the legs and the game is on.
In spite of its affordable price, this pool table is built to last thanks to the 1.25-inch steel construction and the 1.5-inch leg levelers that keep it in place. It also features high-quality yet affordable felt made of 75% polyester and 25% wool to guarantee good ball rolling. The corners are chrome-plated to keep your table in perfect condition. The L-shaped cushions provide a better bounce for your balls.
To boost the fun, the table comes with all the accessories that every beginner and avid player would need so they can start enjoying a game of pool. It comes with two 48-inch cues, balls, a triangle, and chalk in addition to a special table brush. Thanks to its smart design, even kids and teens can fold it and unfold it when needed. However, it’s quite heavy given its size so help will be needed.
#5. Fat Cat Trueshot 6’ Pool Table
- Compact design allows you to enjoy your favorite game in spaces you never thought possible
- Sleek black cloth complements any room decor, from traditional to contemporary
- High quality building materials allow for lightweight play and portability without sacrificing...
- The perfect size for younger players learning the fun of pool
- Includes 2 cues, rail brush, Triangle, billiard ball set, and 2 pieces of chalk
This table is the right one for kids or teens who are still experimenting with this game. Thanks to the compact and practical design, it can be easily set up and adjusted by a beginner or even a younger player who doesn’t have much experience with pool tables.
It features a sleek black cloth that complements the décor of any room so it’s the right addition to your living room, kids’ room or basement. The table is made of lightweight yet sturdy materials that can withstand everyday use to guarantee the best value for your money.
This all-in-one pool table comes with all the accessories that you need to start enjoying your game. These include 2 cues, a set of balls, triangle, a rail brush, and 2 pieces of chalk. Moreover, the levelers are easy to adjust so you customize the height to better suit the players playing the game for maximum comfort and more control.
Once you’ve adjusted the height, the locking mechanism will keep your table stable and in place to avoid any inconvenience. This table is an excellent choice for smaller apartments but you might need to glue the screws after some time to keep it in perfect condition.
The quality cloth is scratch-resistant, allowing your balls to roll smoothly. The balls glide flawlessly over the low-friction surface for more precise shots. You should, however, consider replacing the balls after some time as they tend to chip with repeated use.
Aiming is made easy for less experienced players as the table features 18 aiming points so you can use the dots to line up your shots. With shock-absorbing large pockets, you know that these pockets will last for long without being torn or broken.
#6. Playcraft Extera Outdoor Billiard Table
- xtruded aluminum 5-7/8" top rails, 5-1/2"aprons, legs and square tubular beam sub-frame with...
- 1" composite weather proof playfield
- Large tubular beam legs with cross truss bracing
- K66 profile cushions
- Electric blue weather proof UV resistent polytech billiard cloth
Enjoy your game anywhere you like thanks to this weather-proof outdoor pool table. It’s made of all aluminum construction and can be easily assembled so you can start enjoying your game whenever you like. This is a big table for your backyard or summer house featuring 6-inch aluminum top rails and 5.5-inch aprons.
The table features large tubular beam legs and bracing to last for long. Combined with the electric blue weather-proof and UV-resistant polytech cloth, you know that your pool table will be the perfect addition to your backyard for hours of fun.
You’ll receive all the accessories that you need to get your game started and going including a set of 2.25-inch balls, chalk, a plastic triangle, and the rail brush in addition to two 57-inch composite cues. Moreover, the table comes with a special protective PVC cover that you should use after every game to protect it from the elements.
Anti-rust treatment has been applied to the whole frame. This is complemented by the 1-Inch composite playfield. The K66 rubber cushions allow your balls to bounce the way they should.
In addition to its price tag, some buyers might be put off by the weight of this table. It’s quite heavy compared to other models on the market and this is why several people will need a few hours to put it together.
#7. Barrington Claremont Slate Billiard Table
- ELEGANT: Queen Anne legs, leather drop pockets and deep red cloth make the perfect game room...
- PREMIUM SLATE: Our 3-piece slate system consists of 1" premium slate for durability and ball roll
- HEAVY DUTY: Aprons and rails are made of high quality solid wood for years of excellent play
- PRO STANDARD: 60% woll cloth cover encourages smooth ball roll and K-66 specification bumper guards...
- PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION RECOMMENDED: To preserve quality table performance and assist in the...
If you’re considering a stylish slate pool table then you need to consider this pool table. Featuring elegant Queen Anne legs, this is the right addition to your game room adding a touch of class and promising hours of unlimited fun.
This 3-piece slate pool table consists of a one-inch slate for durability and improved ball roll. The table is made of heavy-duty wood that guarantees that the pool table will last for long. This is a good choice for professional pool players who are ready to play for long hours.
All the accessories that you need will arrive with your table. You’ll receive 2 cues, a set of high-quality balls, a triangle, two chalks, and a brush. Due to the size of this table, you need to set it up in a big room where players will have enough space to move around.
To improve bounce, the top and side rails are covered with K66 cushions. The pool table is fitted with 60% red wool felt which is more durable than other models on the market guaranteeing good value for your money.
This expensive table is built with special attention to details for people who appreciate the traditional design. However, assembly isn’t free and should be done by a professional who will spend a few hours to put it together due to its massive weight.
Guide To Buying A Pool Table
Now that we’ve looked at some of the options we thought we’d cover some of the important features that you need to consider before hitting the buy button. Let’s dive in.
Where Will You Put Your Pool Table?
The first question you need to ask is where will you put your pool table. There are two types of tables available; indoor and outdoor tables. Of course, some models can be easily moved and set up indoors or outdoors depending on your needs.
Choosing the right table type means that you can enjoy it for a long time without signs of damage. It also guarantees a better game experience for the players regardless of their skill level.
Indoor Pool Tables
Indoor tables are designed to be kept inside the house. These are usually made of wood, although some models are made of metals like steel or aluminum. They come in all sorts of looks and sizes but some of the higher-end models can be extremely elegant and add some real class to your games room or wherever you choose to set it up. They’re suitable for classical players who need to buy a timeless piece that will last for decades.
Aluminum and steel tables are quite durable. They can have a folding design so you can put them away after you’re done playing. They could also be set up in a smaller room as they’re usually less bulky than wooden tables.
All indoor pool tables should have an elegant yet durable felt top. There are lots of good models available so you can choose the color of the felt top and the design that best suits your playroom.
Outdoor Pool Tables
Outdoor pool tables aren’t made of wood because it doesn’t react well to water which can cause it to warp if exposed to the elements. Most outdoor models are made of metals like steel or aluminum. These tables should be treated to be rust-resistant and should have some finish that protects them from the elements. The felt should be weather and UV-resistant so it won’t be damaged if it gets wet or start to fade in the sun. If your outdoor table is portable or folds, you can easily move it around. It should have a cover cloth that protects it when it’s not in use too.
Pool Table Dimensions and Space
When you’re thinking about a place for your pool table you must make sure that there’s some space for clearance on all sides so players can move comfortably. Pool tables that measure 6 feet long are quite practical and can be used by both beginners and seasoned players. 8-feet pool tables are bigger and usually bulkier. They’re suitable for more professional players and are also more expensive.
You can find smaller and bigger pool tables on the market, so you must make sure that you have enough space for all players to stand and move around. A 9-foot pool table offers an outstanding experience for all players who can stand and aim for precise shots.
Folding Pool Tables
Regardless of their size, folding pool tables can be easily stored and kept away when you’re done playing. They represent a great source for entertainment for all players, regardless of the space they have because you can easily store the table once you’re done playing.
A folding pool table can be folded into two or three pieces without professional help. You can also set it up easily whenever you want to. Here are a few advantages of folding pool tables.
- These tables are designed for players who like to move around. They can be easily packed for a camping vacation or set up at your summer house.
- Most folding tables are quite cheap compared to the models that are designed for permanent set up.
- Since these tables are designed to be moved around, they’re usually lightweight. This makes them perfect for kids and teenagers who can set them up on their own.
Although these tables are extremely practical, they still come with a few disadvantages that you need to think about before making a purchase.
- Not all folding tables are easy to install. Some can be quite tricky or you might need the help of an experienced adult before they’re ready for use.
- Because they’re meant to be folded and unfolded several times, the screws might get loose over time. In most cases, you’ll have to replace some of the screws to maintain the condition of your folding pool table.
- Unless you’re very careful while setting up the table, it might not completely level. This will affect the quality of your game as it sabotages the accuracy of your shots.
Generally speaking, folding pool tables aren’t as elegant or sturdy as wooden tables that are designed to be set up permanently in your game room.
Mini and Tabletop Pool Tables
If you have absolutely no space available to set up a pool table, you can still play your favorite game when you buy a mini or tabletop pool table. A tabletop table is placed on top of your dining table so you and your friends can enjoy playing pool without the large expense of the full-size tables.
Mini and tabletop pool tables are quite compact and can be set anywhere. They might measure 3 feet or less so you can enjoy pool regardless of the space you have available. They’re also quite portable. Here are some reasons why you should consider buying a mini or tabletop pool table.
If you’re teaching a kid or a teenager, a mini table might be the most appropriate option. Most pool tables can be adjusted and leveled for a better gaming experience. However, there’s a limit to how low the table can be set. It can still be high for a short person or a kid.
Mini tabletops are pre-assembled or take a little time to be assembled. This means that you can spend more time enjoying pool and less time worrying about how to set the table up.
If you have no experience with pool and are still trying it for the first time, you might want to try it a little before paying a lot of money for an expensive pool table that costs hundreds of dollars.
Tabletop pool tables are easy to transport. They can be set up wherever you like. This means that you can choose the right and most appropriate height for the players.
Most of these mini and tabletop models come with the needed accessories. They’re good value for money because you can start playing pool without worrying about buying additional tools to start enjoying the game.
Slate vs. Non-Slate Pool Tables
When you’re shopping for a pool table, you’ll come across models that feature a slate placed under the table. In some cases, the felt is placed right on top of the wood with no slate underneath.
There’s a debate about whether pool tables should have a slate or not. Having a slate is usually the most preferred option, especially among more professional players. However, some players would still go for a cheaper option that doesn’t feature a slate. In this section, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of each type.
Advantages of Slate Pool Tables
Slate tables are extremely popular. Here are some of their pros.
- Slate tables provide players with more cue precision.
- These pool tables can be leveled to perfection. There will be no problem trying to make sure that your table is 100% flat which improves your ability to aim.
- Balls usually roll straight and true to the direction where you’re aiming so they will help you become a better pool player.
- If you’re serious about playing pool, then you should invest in a slate table because this is the kind of table you can find in professional tournaments and championships.
- Slate pool tables are extremely durable and are usually designed so that they never warp with repeated use.
- Having a slate means that your table will be more durable. You might need to replace the cloth itself after a while but the table and its slate will last for a lifetime.
Disadvantages of Slate Pool Tables
Although they’re extremely popular, slate pool tables still come with a few drawbacks. Taking them into consideration will help you decide on the right pool table.
- If you’re on a tight budget, slate tables might not work for you. They’re usually more expensive since more material is used to manufacture the table.
- They’re quite heavy. Most people would buy a slate pool table if they’re extremely serious about playing pool and need to buy a table that can be set up in the game room for years or even decades.
Advantages of Non-Slate Tables
The main advantage of non-slate tables is that they are a lot cheaper and can be a very inexpensive option. There are several options available and they come with some benefits.
- If you’re choosing a wood or metal table instead of slate, your pool table will be lighter. This means that it will be easier to set up and more practical to move around.
- Non-slate tables are usually less expensive.
- If you’re a beginner or shopping for a pool table for your kids, you might want to stick to a non-slate table. You probably don’t want to invest over 1 thousand dollars into a table that you might or might not like later on or doesn’t get the use you thought it would.
- Non-slate tables come in various sizes. They’re usually smaller and you can also find mini models that can be set up in tight spaces.
Disadvantages of Non-Slate Tables
When you’re on a tight budget, a non-slate pool table sounds like the most practical option out there. However, you should remember that you get what you pay for. Non-slate pool tables come with a few cons that you need to be aware of.
- Choosing a wooden table means that the surface will be subject to warping over time. This means that eventually, your table won’t be level which affects the accuracy of your shots.
- The gameplay of non-slate tables is quite slow compared to slate. Wood, for example, affects the speed of the balls and eventually control the players have.
- Non-slate tables are made of less expensive materials. As a result, they’re more flimsy and more subject to damage over time.
- Unlike slate, other materials will show signs of scratches and are subject to chipping.
If you’re planning to set up the pool table in a game room or basement where it will stay for years, then you might not worry that much about the weight of the pool table. However, having a heavyweight table means that it will be difficult to set up, especially if you’re not hiring a professional.
Heavyweight slate tables are sturdy and durable so they will last for decades. They won’t show any sign of wear or tear. Nevertheless, they’re difficult to move around.
Wooden, steel, and aluminum pool tables might be too heavy so they’re better kept where you initially set them up. If you’re looking for a lightweight option, then you might choose a table with smaller dimensions.
Mini tables are also available so they’re extremely portable. They can be set up wherever you want and are stored after you’re done playing.
Pool Table Felt
All pool tables are covered with special felt that can be a blend of wool and nylon or polyester. There are several colors and types available out there although the most common ones are green and red. Felt tends to be made of 60% wood and 40% nylon or polyester. It’s usually rough to touch and is mostly found in home pool tables.
This type of cloth is less durable and affects the speed of the ball. Nevertheless, it’s less expensive and would be suitable for less experienced users. Worsted pool table cloth is the other option available. It’s more expensive and allows your balls to roll fast and smoothly. It’s the type of cloth used in pool tables designed for professionals and used in tournaments.
This cloth has an upside and downside face and the bottom one is fuzzier. However, it is less prone to pilling and will last longer. Regardless of the type of cloth, it will eventually show signs of wear and will have to be replaced. Some burns will appear in the cloth and affect the way it looks, but they will not affect the quality of playing until they turn into holes. Once the felt starts to show signs of wear, it’s time to replace it. Otherwise, you’ll start experiencing serious problems with your game as you won’t have control over the speed or direction of the balls.
There are other types of cloth available like nap cloth which is made of 100% wool. It’s more expensive and not that common. The feel of the cloth changes depending on the direction you’re rubbing your hands in. If you’re looking for an outdoor pool table, your cloth should be treated to withstand UV rays and weather. Most outdoor tables feature a polyester cloth which is more resistant to water and heat. However, it tends to wear pretty fast compared to wool.
The cloth color should be chosen based on the décor of your room and the style of your furniture. Most tables feature a green felt, but other common choices include red, blue, camel, and even black. Some manufacturers offer felt with a special logo or drawing in the middle. You might have yours replaced with custom-made felt that better suits your mood.
Multi-Use Pool Tables
If you’re on a tight budget or have limited space, then you might need to consider multi-use pool tables. These are practical models that can be used for various purposes.
Luckily, there are some models on the market that can double as pool and dining or kitchen tables at the same time. These are practical models that represent good value for money because you can enjoy your favorite pool game whenever you want without worrying about dedicating a special spot for it.
There are also other models that come with built-in features that allow you to enjoy more games. Some pool tables can be easily transferred, so you can enjoy table hockey or poker by changing the layout.
Investing in a good pool table guarantees that you and your family will have access to decades of unlimited fun. In addition to money, you’ll need to spend time so you can make the right choice.
We chose the EastPoint Sports Masterton Billiard Pool Table as the best option for less experienced players and teenagers because it’s quite affordable. It’s also easy to set up so it’s a good choice for someone who’s not planning to play pool professionally.
If you’re an avid pool player, then you might need to take your game up a notch. We recommend that you take a look at the Harvil 8-Foot Slate Pool Table – Bellagio. This should be the first option for every serious pool player because it’s built using high-quality materials that will last for decades if you’re in the mood for a splurge.
For outdoor players, we recommend that you check out the Playcraft Extera Outdoor Billiard Table. The aluminum construction and weather-proof felt guarantee that it will look amazing for years to come. Just make sure that you cover it when you’re done playing to keep it in good condition.
You can easily cross the limit of your budget if you’re not careful while shopping for the best-rated pool table for the money. Luckily, good pool tables come in all price ranges so you can find the most suitable one.