The Cornilleau 250S (also known as the Crossover) is a great table tennis table built for the outdoors. It gets very positive reviews from happy customers and is ideal for beginners/intermediate players or some looking for a family table that can survive being left outside in the elements. Let’s take a look at some of its features and then the pros and cons you should consider before purchasing.
- Dimensions – 9ft x 5 ft (Regulation size)
- Assembly time – 2 – 3 hours
- Surface thickness – 5mm
- Weight – 141 lbs (64kg)
- Price – $$$$ (Check the latest price on Amazon)
- Our rating – 9.1
Overview of the Cornilleau 250S
5mm thick laminate “Soft Matt” playing surface
The playing surface is 5 mm thick which is pretty standard for an outdoor table tennis table. It’s a lot less than indoor tables which are typically 15mm – 25mm because they are made with different materials. Indoor tables are usually made out of MDF (medium density fiberboard) which is very susceptible to moisture and so shouldn’t be used outside.
The 250S Crossover is completely weatherproof and can be used come rain or shine. The S in 250S stands for “Soft Matt” which is referring to Cornilleau’s special laminate coating that it uses on the table tops. This matt top also prevents sun glare which can be an issue. If you’ve ever played outside on a shiny table in the sun you’ll understand.
The 5mm surface gives a reasonable bounce which is fine for casual players and families wanting a table just for fun, but, if you are after a better bounce quality then perhaps you might be better off with something with a thicker top.
Strong 40mm rustproof frame
Another key feature of a good outdoor ping pong table is one with a strong and weatherproof frame. You need something that can handle getting wet and won’t fade in the sun (although we don’t recommend leaving it outside without a ping pong table cover to keep it in the best condition).
The 250S Crossover’s undercarriage is designed with this in mind being made from a strong/aluminium/zinc alloy (called Aluzinc) that won’t rust when exposed to moisture.
On the end of each of the legs are height adjusters so you can extend the legs to ensure that your playing surface is completely flat. They can be increased up to 70mm (2.75″) which is handy, especially when placing the table on grass or uneven terrain.
Easy to fold and playback position
The Crossover is super easy to fold away (even kids can do it) with 16 automatic locking points for extra safety so that it doesn’t collapse unexpectedly. It also features Cornilleau patented Compact Technology system means it has a lower centre of gravity for extra safety when it’s being stored.
When in the storage position it packs down to very small dimensions 155cm high x 167cm wide x 75cm deep. You can also fold up one half of the table to put it into the playback position for self-practice when you don’t have an opponent to play against.
Huge oversized wheels for great mobility
One of our favorite features of the 250S is its massive wheels. It has four 200mm double wheels, two of which lock into place to prevent it from moving unintentionally when in the storage position or during games. It makes it very easy to move around across most terrains a great feature for outdoor tables.
Paddle and ball storage
A nice feature is the paddle and ball storage on the frame of the table. Whilst we wouldn’t recommend keeping your paddles out in the open air if you’ve only got cheap ones that you’re not too precious about then it’s very convenient. We’re constantly losing our ping pong balls so the handy slot for keeping them in is very useful.
72″ net and post set (that you don’t have to remove)
The net and posts set that comes with this table cleverly folds away when you fold up the table. You don’t have to remove it! It’s also weatherproof and you can easily adjust the tension.
Assembly: It will take a while
As with most outdoor tables, the assembly can take hours. When we set this table up there were two of us (and we’ve set up a fair few tables over the years), it took just under 3 hours from start to finish although some people have reported doing it as quickly as 90 minutes (not sure how they managed that). You will certainly need two people to put this table together as it is pretty heavy and I wouldn’t have liked to do it on my own. When considering the rating we gave this table, the long assembly definitely brought it down a few points. Usually, we don’t recommend paying extra for help with assembly but this is one of the tables that we probably would.
The instructions we had were in French (You can use these instructions here but you’ll see how unclear it is) which wasn’t ideal. Don’t worry though as the video below (which isn’t in French) walks you through everything you have to do so if you wanted to take a look at the assembly process first check it out.
- Solid weatherproof surface – 5mm resin laminate tabletop with patented SOFT MAT® finish to prevent sun glare
- Strong durable chassis – The undercarriage is made with a strong aluminum/zinc alloy (Aluzinc) that is corrosion resistant
- Massive wheels – Some of the biggest wheels we’ve seen on a ping pong table (200mm) which gives it great mobility
- Safe folding mechanism – Easy to fold away and it has 16 automatic folding points for extra safety
- Height adjusters – 70mm height adjusters to ensure a completely level playing surface
- Bat and ball storage – The table has storage for up to four paddles and eight balls
- Folding net and posts set – Included net and post set that folds away as you fold the two table halves so you don’t have to take it off to put it into storage
- Amazing warranty – Cornilleau offers a huge 10-year warranty on this table (it doesn’t cover things like the net and posts or the wheels though)
- Long assembly – It takes a long time to put together compared to some of the other options available
- Not great instructions – Not the best instruction manual (as it was in French) but there is a video above to walk you through the process
- Only 5mm tabletop surface – We like outdoor tables with a slightly thicker surface but for casual players, 5mm is more than enough
- Slightly more expensive than competitors – As the tables are manufactured in France they are a little more expensive in the US than some of its competitors (You can see what we think is the best value outdoor table tennis table here)
About the brand: Cornilleau
Cornilleau are one of the leading providers of ping pong equipment producing tables, paddles, rubbers and other accessories. They excel in making outdoor tables that very rarely get negative reviews from customers. Being based in France, all of their products are designed and produced there. Their headquarters is in the Bonneuil-les-Eaux which is in the Picardy region which is where the Cornilleau family originated from too.
To sum up the 250S Crossover, we really liked it and it ticks all the boxes when it comes to choosing a good outdoor table tennis table. It’s huge wheels, 16 automatic locking points, rustproof top and frame plus all the other features we’ve mentioned make it a really good option when considering buying a new table. It’s a shame that it takes so long to assemble.
In this case, we think the positives outweigh the downsides and if you’re looking for a durable table it’s definitely one that should be considered.